Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Classes

I've been teaching some beginner sewing lessons to a few people in my home. I just have to tell you about Ashley. She is a UGA student majoring in Fashion Merchandising (I think) but with plans to go to Savannah College of Art and Design when she finishes here. And she is quite amazing, designing clothes with only 2 classes under her belt! Check this out!




She is almost ready to give Project Runway a run for their money!

The Fashion Design Student Association will be holding a fashion show of their own creations in April and I can't wait!

Some weeks ago, Anita and I taught some classes for I Art Athens, a great non-profit organization that takes art to young people who may not be exposed otherwise. We worked with a wonderful group of teenage girls who belong to Strong, Beautiful Godly Girls. First Anita taught them how to make fabric beads. I only have one picture here, but you can see what a wonderful job they were doing:


For the next session working with these girls, I helped Anita teach the girls to make table toppers for their upcoming fundraiser. They used sharpie pens, alcohol and plenty of stamps and stencils and their own drawing abilities:




Their tables will be bright and colorful!

And then, I taught the girls how to make note cards out of card stock and ephemera. It was fun!






I Art Athens is a non-profit that stays busy, operates on a shoe-string and was founded by a young woman who does amazing work through her art and through the non-profit, Jillian Guarco. This month these projects and more are featured in the window of Frontier, a gift shop that carries and honors hand-crafted items, in downtown Athens.

And while we're on the subject of classes, on my next post I'll show you what I'll be teaching next. I had such a good time teaching last week that I hope to do it again and again! Until next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment